Surveying and Setting Out
Setting out for Engineers
Cost: £930 +VAT – 5 day course
The course is designed for engineering staff, who may have graduated from university with some instrument knowledge but little practical experience. It is also relevant to site based consultants and other specialist engineers.
The course is based around a setting out project and takes place in a logical sequence based on a set of work related drawings. The course is practical, making use of field exercises. All delegates are assessed individually. Correct setting out procedures are introduced and maintained, with particular emphasis on cross checking and record keeping. Evening tutorials ensure coverage of essential supporting topics including roles and responsibilities, and contract documents. A strong emphasis is placed on working as part of a management team.
On completion of the course delegates will be able to:
- use the level, record and check results and relate information to drawings
- check settings for ppm, scale & prism constant
- use on board features including resection, ref arc/line, stake out, areas..
- check and record all errors
- establish primary control by traversing
- set out coordinates by different methods
- level and check profile and sight rails for ground works
- setting out using GPS
- upload & download coordinates into instrument
- calculate areas and volumes using several methods
- set out circular curves
- set out complex grids for structures and buildings
- set out drainage systems
- record information using quality assured systems
- relate to contract documents and planning of work
- awareness of laser scanning and BIM